Sunday, November 15, 2009

On Recruiting Others

I had several teenagers over yesterday, 4 girls and one boy, visiting my children. I showed them the hats that I had received so far and as they oohed and aahed away, it dawned on me that so few young ones have learned the crafts of knitting and crocheting and further, their own parents don't have the skills so don't make hats for them.
When I showed them the bigger hats, they couldn't help themselves, they got twinkles in their eyes hoping it was for them. I then explained to them that the hats were intended for Gazan children. Some of you may think that teenagers are removed from political realities but this is not so. This group actually held the hats to their chests as I spoke and one said, "Oh, I want to knit hats for little Palestinian children!" The others agreed.
I then offered to teach them to crochet in exchange for each one making one hat for the cause. They all jumped at the chance, even the boy.
While I can knit and crochet, I find it hard to teach knitting so crochet it will be. I also promised to teach them how to make something for themselves, their choice.
They then began a discussion about their schools crochet club. They decided to join next week as well. And they volunteered to spread the word.
If you find people interested but don't know how to knit or crochet, why not offer to teach them? Childrens hats can be easy projects. Each hat counts. Give it a try!

1 comments:

Beeba said...

I think I will give it a try!

I was not aware of the magnitude of one of the youth groups in my community that an acquaintance manages. There must be about 30 girls! And mainly of Palestinian descent. Not that that is a criteria for knitting for Gaza, but it may prove helpful. They seem to have a deep rooted love for their homeland, as most Palestinians do.
I also discovered a bulletin board at the local Islamic school that is soley devoted to the topic of "What do you want to learn?" and may post a flyer about our project there once we have one successfully completed. I think it will prove very successful!
I think that even if the group of girls can't knit or crochet, and learn just for this cause, it will be worth it!

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment! Bear in mind, we will delete and not publish offensive, negative or derogatory comments. Thank you!

ardianzzz.blogspot.com 2009 powered by blogger template air mail by ardianzzz